Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Today is the day

I was two that year, so that’s not possibly when I saw it the first time. Still I can’t remember when it was. I can’t even track the times I have actually watched it because they’re so lost in the blurry memories of childhood. I have one word for you: ancestral.

People say stuff you can’t remember never happened. I say if I can’t remember how my love for Back to the Future started it means I was born with it. It was my density.

And it is indeed. It is my density to see it on a big screen tonight. I have been waiting for this moment since I can’t even tell, hence, forever.

My text message alert sound is a recording of Doc saying “Great Scott” I snatched playing the DVD on loud TV 6 to 7 years ago, while not everybody gets it, it speaks volumes to me. It means something. I went crazy in a bar the other night when a cover band played Johnny B. Good and I said “Chuck. Chuck. It's Marvin - your cousin, Marvin BERRY. You know that new sound you're looking for? Well, listen to this” to a plain yellow wall. It meant something to me. There’s always a way to quote Back to the Future and to find a little of it in our everyday life. Even after 25 years. That’s how rich of a phenomenon it’s been. Have you ever looked at Calvin Klein underwear like they were just Calvin Klein underwear?

Back to the Future forged my carefree attitude in life and toward filmmaking. Marty McFly shaped everything I look in a man up to this day, and of course no one I ever find even remotely measures. I will live with its legacy forever and I wouldn’t ever want to change that. Of all the historical film moments in the history of cinema I am glad I was born just in time to be here for this one.

And I will celebrate this tonight.

From my pilgrimage to the Universal Studios in Los Angeles, August 2006 (second visit - first one dated 1998, pictures under wraps due to house renovation)

My little memorabilia collection. Hoping to nourish it soon with this...

The Flux Capacitor replica. Now this is heavy.


****************

And now a few reminders of why this day is so amazing. If they were ever necessary...


I didn't know about this and it rocks my socks!! (Bonus points for showing Peter Jackson, another fave of mine)




This is an oldie but-ah, hum... It's an oldie where I come from...

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I like your blog,
    Nice blog,
    Studios, movies, television and Hollywood are all synonymous with each other.

    ReplyDelete