Thursday, October 21, 2010

A long long time ago in a country far far away… (Episode 3)

Cricci has returned to her home town of Rome in an attempt to snatch a degree in film studies from the clutches of the vile gangster Jabba the Hutt.

Little does Cricci know that the world is about to change for ever.

Just a few days after my return to home base 9/11 strikes, thus going back to America will never be as easy as it had previously been for me.
I’m talking to you, freaking code of small jars of liquid, cream and vapor possessions, with your hideous zip bag and the damn water you make me swallow whole at the damn metal detector. I swear I’m trying hard to find a way to hold a plane hostage with my 400 ml Lancome face cleanser but THERE ARE NONE. None. Understood you idiots confiscating me my products all the time? I’ll keep searching for one though and oh when I find it… Can you feel my breath on your necks airlines??
I’m also talking about the eminent sect of the Visas. Only if you were bread rightfully, married a member, or participated in a rite of initiation during which you donated gallons of your own warm blood, you’d have a shot at being looked at by them. Poor Visas, they risk ruining their pretty, pure paper eyes if they meet your non-American ugly face.

Don't you worry, digression is over now.

Getting settled in College at first was simultaneously weird and fun. See we don’t manage our own classes in high school. We have no choice whatsoever on what we’re learning in our teenage years. Actually hold on, “whatsoever” is an extreme choice of vocabulary, we are indeed allowed to express a preference on our appreciated field of study, but on that solely, not over single subjects. The first time we are in fact encouraged to do that is when we hit higher education. So of course when that merry occasion occurs you are petrified.
As for me, being the person I am, I got a kick out of it, bought a different colored pen for each subject, created charts and timetables and was at the top of my game, grinning while doing it.

Then again of course we’re in Italy so everything sucks. I mentioned before that I’m not a politic person, I wouldn’t be dwelling in those matters with a gun to my head, but it is fair to say that in our country hands-on education is a highly disregarded concept. And I will leave it at that.
Having chosen to pursue a College career in filmmaking, I was hoping we would be doing a little filmmaking. How fucking naïve of me. I spent the first year of my new exciting life sipping from the same old canister of boiled Italian literature, world history and art chronicles. Wow, how electrifying!! If I wanted to appreciate the world of poetry, human evolution and paintings I would have chosen it!
To be fair there were a couple of theatre and cinema related classes. All we did in there was talking, talking, talking, and never doing, but at least they were somewhat associated to film studies, which is, I will never stress it enough, the name of the degree. They were a couple as I mentioned and we ran out of them quickly. All that was left in our film studies degree, I’ll stress it again, was history of dance (?), anthropology (lmao) and ethnical music (wtf), so of course after a little more than a year I was discouraged as eff you see kay. I stopped being consistent in class attendance and I slept away to sunnier lands.

I started working in tourist resorts!



PS. I apologize for my jokes on fair and square aircraft regulations, and the kind, intelligent people who make us follow them. Also I care to clarify that I love the Visa King. Hail to you. Can you let me in now??

No comments:

Post a Comment