Friday, October 22, 2010

My two cents on: Buried

Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant. Inception’s got nothing on it!

Buried just came out here in Italy and I’m mad as hell, they keep doing it. Dish us the great movies in time you bastards!
Oh no, I was just a tiny bit bitter, and bitter is the last thing I want right now. Because instead I’m ecstatic actually, I am thrilled and inspired by the power of moving pictures… Oh you have no idea!!

These things are what I live for. Challenges. Wits. Human beings bending their arms and making it happen!

I was scared to go see it at the beginning, when I had a look at the trailer the first time I was - the hell you’ll see my face Mr. Johansson. But somehow the hype increased with the passing weeks, and not because there was any type of exaggerated marketing, it simply grew on me. That’s what art does by the way. And then it was show-time this Friday and I felt the urge. I booked tickets online today and I felt kinda eerie the entire afternoon. Creepy films have ways of sneaking up on me in my dreams. I am very careful with my choices on the matter. So I tiptoed to my seat in the theatre and I was quiet for a while. Pondering. Then I took a breath, the movie started and I was never able to produce a single thought again for the whole 94 minutes. I was completely absorbed.

This work not only has the strength of a fresh, brave concept, it also develops it poignantly. No considerable gaps in the plot, no dull moments, no pathetic resolutions. No nothing. Just plain awesomeness. The story is strong and the storytelling backs it up completely.

Cortés breeds these great, unexpected camera movements, jumping back and forth around our very own insurmountable line. Considering what I do for a living – well, that’d be the case if they were paying me to do it (Hey, I won’t accept sour remarks here, this is a happy piece!) – that was both weird and exciting to see. He is all over the place with his equipment!
When the screen goes pitch black he always comes back with an unexpected angle. And I mean you are bound to do that if you want to keep an audience’s attention alive for an hour and thirty four minutes with one man inside a box as big as his own damn frame. Without showing any boobs.
Also I appreciated that they managed to keep it at a fairly realistic lighting without having to be boring with it. Reynolds is in fact equipped with his fair share of disco bulbs. Such a kaleidoscopic rainbow of horrors, one color for each demising stage. Well played.

Speaking of the Rey-man he’s brave enough to step up to it, and he does a fairly good job. Honest performance would far better critics than me say. You’ve come a long way from Van Wilder uh? I was still hoping you’d lose your shirt here and there though, like old times. No such luck.

I've heard our leading actor say that if Alfred Hitchcock had been presented this script he would have totally directed it. Funny cause that was my first thought.
Lil' connection here Mr. Reynolds, you wanna explore it?

                  

A special post scriptum for the deserving movie’s artwork. The poster looks amazing, and again very Hitchcocky. Plus I love how they incorporated press praise into it.

To some it up, there’s nothing I didn’t love about this picture.
Fucking great movie, that’s all I have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment