Saturday, January 14, 2012

Save Ferris

I took a test today. Out of the entire vast array of 80s movies characters I was Ferris Bueller. I guess this makes me charming, witty, manipulative and Matthew Broderick.
I've lived in LA for the last 7 months and as I type I'm sitting in the room where I grew up in Rome, Italy, same room where it all started. On my flight back here I began reading a book, which I've been obsessing on ever since.

Two things have grown on me after moving to the West coast:

  • wanting to watch loads of movies, like I ever needed to do that any more
  • and an absolute desire to learn all things Hollywood.

Cue Entourage, and this book.

It tells the forgotten tale of a magical time when teen idols actual had pubic hairs, there was some sort of innovation in commercial features, Judd Nelson was still hot and everybody wrapped the day with cocaine.
Dealing both with the conception and the shoot of some good old movies it paints a vivd picture of what I now call my neighborhood back in the days when my eyes had yet to set sight on it. Very nostalgic and informative. I especially enjoyed the chapter "Becoming the Brat Pack". It thought me that you should definitely not trust anyone and most of all that Emilio Estevez hasn't always exactly been #winning.

Check its website if you too want to take the test, wink wink.



The person I have to thank for this great discovery is Jason Reitman. He was the sole author of one of the best nights of my life. The one I went to the LACMA museum to check out a reading of The Breakfast Club by a surprise cast. I guess I had been living in LA long enough without doing any radical chic cinematic intellectual outing and I had to fill the quota. The crowd gathers, the cast is introduced, Claire Standish suddenly appears in the body of actress Jennifer Garner.

I repeat, Jennifer Garner.

Please take a look at these pictures from the event. Jennifer Garner, and me seeing Jennifer Garner.


I also care to remind you about this.
It's easy to put two and two together and imagine how her divine appearance stimulated my thriving brain with subsequent need to conquer everything John Hughes. On the plus side I also learned something more about Hollywood: it fucking rocks!

But my thirst you know is unquenchable, so, I'm on season 5 of Entourage. Do not give me spoilers. Someone told me "You cannot live in Hollywood and not see it" and since no one can tell me what to do I started it the next day. Now I give the same advice myself to everyone I meet. Pay it forward.
There is one thing in particular that I like to picture at the sound of the word "Entourage" and that is this:


which can occasionally double up for Brandon Walsh so I guess I will be also picturing it for the words "Beverly Hills".

No comments:

Post a Comment