Monday, January 30, 2012

Road to the Oscars - first impressions

As a Script Supervisor I will always stand by my battle against the Academy for not recognizing our phenomenal, precious, creative and hard work. But secretly, way down in my dungeons, I have an Oscars shrine. Shhh.

Now for 2012 as award season progresses and I try as usual to watch all the nominated films - kind of hard since I'm in Italy and My week with Marylin yet has to get a release date here - two things come to mind.

Actress in a supporting role:
In a Criccicentric perfect Sims world I would make Jessica Chastain win. Will go as far as to say that out of everything from The Help, which by the way I did not like, she gave the most surprising performance, however small. It's easier to impress playing the fat black harassed woman, just saying. Her character went through a whole series of different phases, including dislikable asshole, and in that little screen time I believe she did a painstaking job at letting every single one of her emotions come through.
That said if someone could please explain Melissa McCarthy to me. I mean she was funny and shiz and I am all for including farting among honor worthy talents but... Big question mark.

Best motion picture:
I have recently seen The Artist and you don't have to fight the urge to know what I thought about it for you can read this. And I have watched The Help back in LA but didn't see what other people saw. I like Emma Stone, and I will write it again in capitals, I really LIKE her, but this time I couldn't go past the hair and the lisp. I'm sorry. She was plastic. And so was the plot... I don't know. Bryce Dallas Howard ate shit, so what? A little girl with some frizz problems makes all the black women wanna join her/their cause, woosh, over my head. The wannabe emotional parts were too long foreseen and by the time they actually hit you you were already thinking about how much you would be paying for parking. If I may, 50/50 did a better job at messing with my lacrimal gland.

No comments:

Post a Comment