Sunday, November 28, 2010

Criccipes - Chestnut Risotto

My parents are out of town for ten days. The house is my kingdom. The kitchen is my playground.

I usually have fun opening the fridge, seeing what's inside and making something up with it. Today I was inspired a warm and cuddly dish by this particularly precious weather.





Thus I give you THE CHESTNUT RISOTTO.

I made it for a party of me, myself and I so I used little quantities. I got a pretty good amount of food out of them though, maybe a tad too much for just one person. I ate it all but to be honest I have a big welcoming tummy. Draw your conclusions.

INGREDIENTS
150 gr. of chestnuts
100 gr. of rice
1 scallion
stock
butter
grated Parmesan cheese

Boil whole chestnuts in salted water for 10 minutes.


Get the engines started on broth. I had leftovers of some my mom made before leaving but if you don't, just get more boiling water and add a stock cube to it. You don't need much, just about three cups.


Drain the chestnuts and let them cool off for about 15 minutes. Open and crumble them into small pieces to your likings. I kept them fairly big because I wanted to feel them crunch under my teeth.


Put a thin slice of butter in a casserole, let it melt and pour one minced scallion in it. When it looks golden add rice to the mix.


When the rice is toasted chip in some wine and let it evaporate while stirring. Once the wine is out of the picture start pouring stock, one dipper at a time, and go on stirring until it dries out. Repeat with a little more stock. Sing something to yourself so the process feels less boring.


While the first dipper of stock starts boiling with the rice add your crumbled chestnuts and blend the whole lot.


Keep adding stock and stirring until the rice seems done (about 15 minutes). Maybe vary the songs you sing to yourself.


Turn fire off, add a slice of butter and grated Parmesan cheese as you desire and stir one final time.


Now you're ready to yum yum.


Buon appetito!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this recipe! I had the chestnuts but had no clue what to do with them.

    I have relatives in Roma, and great memories of visiting them several years ago. The food was incredible.

    I hope you like Hollywood (I live in California).

    Chaio

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! I will post more soon.
    I'm sure I will like Hollywood, I'll get in in a few months... Very excited.
    Let me know if you like the risotto!
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was delicious! Even though it takes a while for the rice to absorb the liquid, it was worth the time it took.

    Do you have traditional Italian main dishes for Christmas you could share when you have time?

    Thank you : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry I missed on the Christmas dishes, I've been busy with work lately (... and luckily :D). I will make up with Easter stuff, how does that sound?
    Big kiss

    ReplyDelete